Monday, April 25, 2016

Are Gasoline Prices Unusually Low or Unusually High?

I guess it all depends on which economic bubble you wish to compare against.

April 25, 2016
Gas prices on the rise in Phoenix and nationwide - but still unusually low

Compared to the great (housing and) oil bubble, gasoline prices are indeed unusually low. Prices are roughly half of what they were at the peak in 2008.

Compared to the great dotcom bubble gaining steam in 1998, gasoline prices are unusually high. Prices are roughly double what they were then, representing a roughly 4% per year annual increase.

Perhaps "unusual" is the new normal?

2 comments:

Teri said...

They really don't like it when we can get something cheap. That's why Walmart and Harbor Freight are hated by the elite.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Teri,

I have not been to Harbor Freight but every time I see an ad listing their prices I become very tempted. Located a bit far from me though.