Friday, May 1, 2015

A Sure-Fire Cure for Boredom

I am very rarely bored, so I thought I'd offer some advice for those who are.

The Slave Ship A Miserable Dungeon

Crammed onto slave ships, more than a million of them died en route, their bodies cast overboard to feed a flotilla of sharks. The rest - the lucky ones - descended into a living hell. A "floating dungeon," the slave ship was their first "home" in captivity. "So much misery condensed in so little room," exclaimed the British abolitionist William Wilberforce, "is more than the human imagination had ever before conceived."

If society has seen fit to allow you enough free time to think about wallowing in self pity for not being able to think of anything interesting to think about, then why not instead think about how you are not currently a slave on a slave ship? Boredom problem solved!!

No offense intended, but c'mon. Boredom is one of the last things in life that deserves sympathy!

I will say this though. I strongly suspect that the more resistant to boredom one becomes, the harder it is to sleep. Insomnia becomes a byproduct. There never seems to be enough time in the day for those not easily bored. I never want each day to end. I never want to stop actively thinking, even if it leads to dreaming. This is not a complaint, for I would not want it any other way. It's simply an observation.

4 comments:

Shookie said...

I feel strongly that "boredom" is an important experience, and one that is denied of us because of all the little entertainment devices (smart phones, etc) that our current society possesses. Boredom is the first step to out-of-the-box creativity.

When bored as a child, I created forts in the woods and fought battles with imaginary bandits. Boredom = creativity.

I wonder how many truly great inventions are being denied us now because of lack of boredom?

Anonymous said...

I'll bet Kim Jong Un's wife isn't bored. Really focused. And really creative.

Stagflationary Mark said...

Shookie,

Boredom is the first step to out-of-the-box creativity.

I like your theory and believe it has merit. Perhaps boredom is the problem and creativity is its solution. If one is creative the bordeom problem is quickly solved each time it appears.

Most inventions start with problems that need solving. Take away the boredom problem and the boredom solutions also go away. Will smartphones make us less creative? Maybe. I've seen children addicted to them.

Take the smartphone away from a child and epic boredom appears. Perhaps that offers hope though. Epic boredom will require an epic solution. ;)

Stagflationary Mark said...

Joseph Constable,

Yes, very focused. ;)