Sunday, November 23, 2014

Groundbreaking New Research in Computer Science Offers Hope for a More Prosperous Future

November 20, 2014
Journal Accepts Paper Reading “Get Me Off Your Fucking Mailing List”

A paper that largely consists of the words “Get me off your fucking mailing list” repeated 863 times has been accepted by a journal that claims to be peer reviewed. The move might appear to offer hope to scientists struggling to get marginal work published, but really just exposes the extent of scam publications pretending to be contributing to science.

Claims to be peer reviewed? For what it is worth, I reviewed the publication in its entirety. It seems like solid research to me. My only critique would be that the research is not comprehensive enough. I had hoped that it would apply to the Do Not Call list as well.

The move might appear to offer hope? Oh, I think it definitely offers hope. Anything that could get me off mailing lists would be a welcome change.

Exposes the extent of scam publications? I think not. As seen within the link above, the paper includes two very useful charts. I think charts can offer compelling evidence at times. Further, we may not trust either one of the charts individually, but as a group they should really make us think about mailing lists and how nice it would be to get off of them.

International Journal of Advanced Computer Technology (IJACT)

The Journal welcomes the submission of manuscripts that meet the general criteria of significance and scientific excellence.

I would provide you with a link to their site, but in the name of science I feel that it is probably best that I alone take the risk of visiting it. Think of me as your own personal "scientific excellence" firewall. Put another way, I wouldn't want your computer to get IJACT'd.

Prosperity and sarcasm, baby. That's what I'm talking about.

No comments: