Thursday, February 27, 2014

New Houses Sold (Musical Tribute)


Click to enlarge.

The black line shows the 6 month moving average of the annual change in the median sales price for new houses sold. Note that the growth rate has been slowing since the mortgage rate spike in the spring of 2013.

The blue line shows the 6 month moving average of the annual change in the number of new one family houses sold. Note that the growth rate has also been slowing since the mortgage rate spike.

I'm told she's a strong and resilient economy though. We'll see.

I dedicate the following musical tribute to our former Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke for daring to utter "taper" in the presence of a lady.



Well no one told me about her, what could I do
Well no one told me about her, though they all knew
But it's too late to say you're sorry
How would I know, why should I care
Please don't bother tryin' to find her
She's not there

Source Data:
St. Louis Fed: Custom Chart

4 comments:

dearieme said...

It must be 50 years since I jumped about to that number.

Anonymous said...

January's new one family home sales "soared" and "surged" to 468,000 annualized. Of course that is a seasonally adjusted figure. They are desperate.

January's non-seasonally adjusted sales is 34,000 houses. I graphed all the NSA Januaries since 1960. I am not impressed with January 2014.

Stagflationary Mark said...

dearieme,

Seeing that I'm 49 years old, the only way I'd have been jumping was if my mom was, lol.

That sad, I really like the song. Holds up well over all these years. :)

Stagflationary Mark said...

Joseph Constable,

I am not impressed with January 2014.

Yeah, much more "soaring" and "surging" like that and some people will start questioning this recovery's sustainability.