Thursday, December 24, 2009

Gold vs. Copper

We can't seem to stop talking about either gold or copper, so clearly they are both important. Many would argue that they are the two most important metals on the planet and have been for centuries. Who am I to argue? So, let's do a comparison.

In the charts that follow I am trying to allow the modern mining equipment miracle to play a part and not just discuss prices in isolation. I think it helps to show that the sheer quantity of our money growth is at least somewhat balanced by the sheer quantity of mining. I think a decent inflation/deflation debate requires at least a bit of both.




This shows the cumulative world production of gold and copper since 1900 times the price of the metals in the given year. In other words, it's how much it would cost you to hoard all the metal mined since 1900 assuming it all still exists and also assuming that you wouldn't drive up the price while doing it.

Keep in mind that the price of gold was fixed for four decades. You can see the effect in the chart. Look for that straight line from the 1930s to the 1970s. You can also see the effect in the next chart. You can also clearly see the bubble that formed in its aftermath.




This sure does not look like a gold bubble to me, at least compared to copper. Things have changed a bit since 2007 though, so let's try to factor that in. For the moment, we'll ignore the recent world production and just concern ourselves with prices.

Copper was $3.28 per pound in 2007. It's now $3.18 per pound. It's 3% cheaper. Gold was $697 per ounce in 2007. It's now $1097 per ounce. It's 57% more expensive. Overall, that puts the gold to copper ratio at about 1.3. Compared to copper, it looks to be slightly undervalued. Score one for the gold bugs!

There's still one important question left though. Is copper in a bubble? I happen to be of a deflationary mindset. I think copper is very overvalued. If so, then gold could/should drop in sympathy if copper crashes (again). Much to the dismay of gold bugs, when copper crashed in 2008 gold did too. It just didn't crash as hard.

Financial and Commodity Bubbles Everywhere?

So, why isn’t copper or orange juice in a bubble? I wonder how many people are aware that copper is up over 4 times what gold is up this year, and oil over 2 times. Even silver is up more than gold this year.

That's just it though. I do think copper is in a bubble. It has recovered almost its entire drop from the bottom. We now have virtually the same copper price in this weak global economy that we had in the apparently strong global economy of just a few years ago. I'm not a believer and I'm bracing for the next down leg.

If I am right, then I may yet be a gold bug again someday. It would depend on how far copper falls (if it does) and how far gold may fall with it (if it does). If I am wrong, then I will have just one thing to say. Oops! Okay, maybe I'd have two things to say. Thank goodness I didn't short copper or gold. ;)


Copper extends gains; Shanghai at 15-month peak

"This is end-of-year optimism confronting fundamentals and it's the optimism that is carrying the day," Jonathan Barratt, managing director of Commodity Broking Services, said.

"I worry that stimulus packages are rolling off. Inventories don't seem to be falling and I am worried about property markets and sovereign debt -- we are watching those as a pre-indicator for a fall in copper."

But on the last day of trading before Western markets close for Christmas, investors said "Bah-humbug" to worries about demand in 2010.


Optimism is carrying the day? What happened to the pessimism bubble?

Source Data:
USGS: Historical Statistics for Minerals
Kitco: Gold
Kitco: Base Metals

21 comments:

watchtower said...

I didn't realize it until I read an article over at Financial Sense that people are hoarding pre-1982 copper pennies.
The pennies are now worth twice their face value.

Coppertunities
by Ray Long

"Start saving those pennies. You'll achieve an inexpensive means of accumulating a form of bullion. Copper is bullion?"

http://tinyurl.com/y9rdubf

I've read in the past about 'Dr Copper' being a gauge of the economy, but when people start hunching over a table with a magnifying glass sorting the dates on a pocketful of pennies...

Stagflationary Mark said...

watchtower,

A penny for your thoughts... on five yeats in prison and a $10,000 fine!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2006-12-14-melting-ban-usat_x.htm

"Violators could spend up to five years in prison and pay as much as $10,000 in fines. Plus, the government will confiscate any coins or metal used in melting schemes."

EconomicDisconnect said...

Copper + Gold = Red Gold = cheap christmas jewelry gift!

My mon actually LOVES red gold so go figure.

Copper vs Sliver may be more analagous as silver has industrial uses built into the price as well (silver infused socks keep army feet disease free in the deserts of Iraq)

Anonymous said...

A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Title 7 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to banking and finance, so as provide a short title; to provide legislative findings; to define certain terms; to require any bank or lending institution serving as a depository for the state or any department or agency of the state to offer and to accept gold and silver coin for deposit; to amend Title 50 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to state government, so as to provide legislative findings; to define certain terms; to require the exclusive use of gold and silver coin as tender in payment of debts BY or to the state; to provide for related matters; to provide an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.
http://tinyurl.com/d8es58

I wonder which state is going to be the first one to tell the Federal government to go pack sand,
I don't want to move but I damn sure would.
Kevin

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

What does your mom think of red ink and red lights?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-red-light24-2009dec24,0,2706485.story

Stagflationary Mark said...

Kevin,

I wouldn't want to tell the Federal government to go pack sand. That would just give them more crazy ideas.

From 2003...

Saudis 'fear sand shortage'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3243623.stm

Although sand remains plentiful in Saudi Arabia, construction experts say the high costs of bagging and transporting make exploiting it difficult.

Sand remains plentiful in Saudi Arabia? Who knew! ;)

EconomicDisconnect said...

Kevin,
I linked that bill the other day, it was very interesting to say the least. Gald you saw it as well. Merry Christmas to you sir!

Mark,
They have been pulling that crap here in Mass forever. Speeding ticket, parking meter, and other revenue from various vehicle infractions always goes up 30% here in December to pad the numbers by year end. They say they do not have "fixed" targets for revenue but I of course do not believe them. Niether does my mom.

Anonymous said...

Gysc,

I don't no where in the hell Georgia thinks it's going to get the gold to pay it's obligations with and this is kind of a non-starter but I think it may only be a matter of time before one of these states stands up and says enough of this crap and where out of here.
I know I have.

Kevin

EconomicDisconnect said...

Kevin,
I would love to pay my property taxes with rolls of junk silver just to see their faces, but then again I would not give them that stuff, they can have paper.

EconomicDisconnect said...

I am going to start drinking early and pretend I dont care about this FNG stuff for a few days:

"Treasury removes cap for Fannie and Freddie aid
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac receive unlimited future funds from taxpayers to stay afloat"

http://tinyurl.com/ygpzwug

Merry Christmas!

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

Your choices seem to be...

1. Loading up on the noggin.
2. Hitting noggin against desk.

Sounds to me like you are choosing wisely.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/noggin?db=dictionary

After reading your link, I have chosen #2.

Whack! Whack! Whack!

EconomicDisconnect said...

OPTION ONE!!!!

That story is just breaking over at CalRisk and Zero Hedge and I can tell you too many people are watching now for this to just go away. Nothing will be done of course, but at least we are aware! Progress indeed.

All my best.

mab said...

Stag, All,

Merry Christmas!

EconomicDisconnect said...

and to you Mab!!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature was stirring
Except for the guy...

... watching the Star Wars marathon on Spike TV while his girlfriend is 3000 miles away visiting her parents in Tennessee.

And the cat...

... rustling around upstairs in what sounds like some paper of some kind.

And the dog...

... in and out through the doggie door still searching for the girlfriend.

And the bird...

... chewing on a bird toy.

Merry Christmas to all
And to all a good night!!

watchtower said...

Merry Christmas all!!!

EconomicDisconnect said...

Mark,
did you get the pets anything for christmas??

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

No pet gifts. I think it would bankrupt me! Hahaha!

Our parrot, our dog, our cat, and our two horses walk into a bar.

The bartender says, "What is this? Some kind of joke?"

Anonymous said...

Mark -
Your Gold vs Copper analysis is outstanding.
Fantastic work.
I have nothing to add, but it is a very fine analysis.
- jus me

Anonymous said...

In the first chart, it's sort of amazing that the $ ratio of mined Cu to Au is approximately 1:1.
.
I would not have guessed that. Not at all.
.
It's also amazing how well they correlate through the decades.

- jus me

Stagflationary Mark said...

jus me,

I also found it interesting that the ratio was so close AND that they were tracking so closely.

It's also an odd way to look at the data. The analysis doesn't really tell you if a given ounce is a good bargain.

This could really be seen with aluminum. The cost to hoard all ounces also grew quite rapidly over the years. However, it was the massive increase in mining production that was the key factor, not the minimal increases in its price per ounce.