Thursday, September 24, 2009

Greenspan's Remarks (Musical Tribute)

March 4, 2003
Remarks by Chairman Alan Greenspan

There can be little doubt that the availability of a ready source of home equity has reduced the costs and uncertainties associated with income volatility, retirement, unexpected medical bills and a host of other life events that can unexpectedly draw down savings.



Don't speak
I know just what you're saying
So please stop explaining
Don't tell me cause it hurts


February 23, 2004
Remarks by Chairman Alan Greenspan

Overall, the household sector seems to be in good shape, and much of the apparent increase in the household sector's debt ratios over the past decade reflects factors that do not suggest increasing household financial stress.



Change, change, it's all rearrangin'
Lookin' around at the situation


October 12, 2005
Remarks by Chairman Alan Greenspan

A consequence of our highly competitive, rapidly growing economy is that the average American will hold many different jobs in a lifetime.



I hear the ticking of the clock
I'm lying here the room's pitch dark
I wonder where you are tonight
No answer on the telephone
And the night goes by so very slow
Oh I hope that it won't end though
Alone

4 comments:

mab said...

Stag,

Help me out here. Where is Afghanistan again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWDilXZQEo

Stagflationary Mark said...

Hahaha!

Great scene! Love that movie.

EconomicDisconnect said...

Mark,
great music selections!

I liked your protein folding computer networking find. Mis-folded proteins cause many issues, and prions (mad cow disease) cause disease all by themselves without genetic basis for mis folding!

As a molecular biologist, I tend to focus on these issues at the DNA end of things. While some proteins have active groups that do not require proper folding (these can be expressed in bacterial systems easily) many have complicated folding structures as well as glycosylation patterns that are very specific and require eukaryotic hosts for production (yeast or mammalian cells). Great find.

Aside: The NASA Stardust program will let you train online and then study aerogel patterns to look for comet particles trapped by the probe as it followed a comet then returned to earth. Way cool!

Stagflationary Mark said...

GYSC,

I thought you'd like the folding@home site. I continue to churn out productivity.

I researched it a bit and it's possible my Playstation 3 is only costs about a penny an hour to do the work. I'm not quite sure which version I have. The later versions use less power. Based on the fact that it doesn't warm up that much, I may very well have a fairly energy efficient one.

Further, apparently it is a near ideal computing platform to do the work because of its 3D graphics capabilities (i.e., it can do floating point operations quickly).

My personal computer does get warm, is older, and simply can't crank out the math. However, the wasted energy really won't be all that wasted. In the winter, I use an electric heater in the room to keep our pet bird warm. I think the computer can now do some of that work.

Let's just hope I don't kill one bird with two stones, or something like that. ;)