Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Danger of Gold, Silver, Death Futures, Annuities, and Cons

Calculated Risk: Silver, Gold, and the Hunt Brothers

I don't follow gold, but back in the late '70s I was long the silver market. I closed my positions when housewives started selling the family silver - and eventually shorted the market. Of course that market was being manipulated by the Hunt brothers, but this story reminded of early 1980.

I was given three silver dollars as a graduation gift in 1982. There was an ad in the local paper offering me $18 each. I sold them at a hotel room in Spokane, Washington. They spent a moment looking at the coins, then they tossed them into one of the very large white buckets along with everyone else's coins. At the time I felt that maybe I was being fleeced. In hindsight, I actually made out like a bandit. I'm reminded of this each and every time I see a television commercial asking to buy gold from me. It's kind of creepy.

You've got to have nerves of steel to bet against
this and this over the long-term. I could only muster a short-term bet. I owned gold and silver from 2004 to 2006. Using hindsight, I made out like a bandit again. Those I sold the metals to would also make out like bandits if they sold today. At some point, we'll need serious hyperinflation for the bandit machine to continue though. What if it doesn't come? What if we slide into a long-term deflationary mess instead? Don't think it is possible? Yeah, well that's exactly the same thought process that was used to justify buying overpriced real estate. It only goes up. That being said, I'm a believer in the long-term stagflation story, but only to a point. I do not think it is a sure thing. Worse, from an investment standpoint, gold and silver may have already fully priced it in.

All I wanted was some inflation protection and I managed to earn more than 50% (even after transaction costs to buy and sell it). A friend reminded me that I told him that I would take gold and silver to my grave if necessary. He wanted to know why I changed my mind. I didn't change my mind. It simply paid off sooner than that. That brings me to the bulls make money, bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered rule of thumb. Don't be greedy, especially in an environment that has been punishing greed in a major way, such as this one.

Gold and silver have been in a bull market for nearly a decade. I certainly can't tell you where the price of gold and silver are headed next. However, I can say that if I had to choose between converting my life savings into gold and silver or converting it into toilet paper, I'd choose toilet paper hands down. It has not risen in price parabolically AND if the you know what really does hit the fan I am quite confident that I will be glad to have it. The things that Mad Max would look for (toilet paper and canned goods) are still relatively cheap. I'd much rather hoard the cheap stuff. In fact, I actually do. That's not being greedy. That's just buying insurance.

Steer clear: 4 'hot opportunities' to avoid

And his recommendation would be brilliant if it were 2001. Over the past eight years, gold has soared from about $271 an ounce to its recent closing price above $900, an all-time high. If you had bought then and sold today, you would have earned a 230% return -- better than virtually any other investment.

That's kind of how I see it. We're well beyond the Suze Orman's of the world investing in precious metals. Gold and silver are pricing in hyperinflation but if that's the case why isn't oil pricing it in too? Risky!

So-called life settlements are the latest twist in a 30-year-old market in "death futures." They involve buying a person's life insurance policy for a fraction of the policy's face value. The investor gets paid when the policyholder dies.

I had NO idea you could even do this. Good grief.

Like all annuities, equity-indexed ones are complex contracts that come with pounds of legal documents. That's where you find the "gotchas," which vary from contract to contract.

I really don't like annuities and for so many reasons. First and foremost, I am not going to pay someone else whopping fees to manage my risk for me, especially when I realize that they'd prefer to simply be spending my money on some beach in the Caribbean. Who wouldn't!

Second, a few decades ago I had two salesmen show up at my apartment. They told me that I could earn a fixed 9.5% in an annuity and asked me if I wanted to know more. Of course I did! I kept asking two questions over and over again. What's the catch? It is really 9.5%? No catch and yes were the answers. I spent time looking through the paperwork. I couldn't spot the problem. I bought in. Later that night, I reverse engineered the payout data. It didn't come up anywhere near 9.5%. I called them up and cancelled. Fortunately, I had three days to back out and I knew it. They were really, really mad. They invested several hours time with me. They weren't the only ones who were upset though. Where did that 9.5% go? Fees! That's what they told me once I'd actually done the math. Most people wouldn't do the math of course. That really ticked me off. How many people had they fleeced?

And lastly, I cringe every time I hear that annuities are guaranteed. Guaranteed by what? I'm having a really hard time trusting the U.S. government to stay solvent long-term. What are the odds I'm going to trust an
insurance company to actually do the same? Insurance companies don't have monetary printing presses last I checked, nor do they have a captive audience that they can tax.

Con artists know you're desperate. They know you think the people on Wall Street are all crooks who lie to you and keep the best deals for themselves.

Don't even get me started. They sure do seem to know me. Hahaha! You know what they say about something looking to good to be true though. There are no sure things. I feel that I'm already in a hand basket asking where we are going. The last thing I need is a brochure of "hot opportunities". That's just cruel!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're long tungsten-filament lightbulbs. Mind you, that supposes that the power stays on.

Stagflationary Mark said...

dearieme,

I'm long light bulbs as well. They were practically giving fluorescent bulbs away for free last year. Between Wal-Mart pricing and Puget Sound Energy coupons they nearly paid me to take them.

The bulbs use so much less energy.

For those who like candles, our forefathers invented a wonderful device called an oil lamp. Wal-Mart sells those for about $5. Costs about 6 cents an hour to operate (on low). Expensive compared to light bulbs, fairly cheap compared to candles though.

I feel like a Wal-Mart commercial. It is probably best for America if nobody shopped there, yet it is better for us individually if we do. Yet another economic Prisoner's Dilemma. I clearly play defect. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Stag,

Almost every commodity is crashing except gold. That doesn't sit right with me. Oil, copper, platinum, etc. - all way down.

I see three reasons for golds rise, two dubious and one legitimate.

The dubious duo: First and foremost, gold could be attracting money because it is going up! What could be better than that? Second, people fear monetization. I'm wary of the second scenario, but I just don't think the fed will permanently print money beyond the usual amounts. Printing destroys wealth. I see no point in that. As far as I can tell, most of the rise in MZM over Greenspan/Bernanke era was generated from the private sector not the fed - private credit printing rather than fed money printing. No doubt the fed should have kept rates higher, but what's done is done.

The legitimate: Foreign demand. Right now, a lot of countries and their currencies are in serious trouble. (Eastern Europe). After the Iceland catastrophe, many are rightfully concerned. The currencies of many countries are probably in for a session or two behind the wood shed. In those cases, gold makes sense. Perhaps this explains the recent correlated strength of dollars AND gold.

There are no sure things? True, but I'm fairly certain investor CONfidence has been severely damaged. That can't be good for the valuations of risky assets, especially long term risky assets (including gold).

One last thought. TIPs show low inflation expectations. That's a good sign imo. And it doesn't square with gold soaring due to fears of monetary inflation.

At best, I view gold as insurance, not an investment.

Stagflationary Mark said...

mab,

First and foremost, gold could be attracting money because it is going up! What could be better than that?

As seen on TV! (TV ads specifically)

As heard on the radio! (just a moment ago, as I was starting to type this)

Second, people fear monetization.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I've got stagflation as part of my name. It is mostly a fear though. I am pleasantly surprised that all the markets are not exploding to the upside in what would best be described as a hyperinflationary spiral.

Foreign demand. Right now, a lot of countries and their currencies are in serious trouble. (Eastern Europe). After the Iceland catastrophe, many are rightfully concerned.

This is the part that seems somewhat risky long-term. Those who piled into precious metals in the late 1970s are still feeling the pain, even at today's prices. Those who piled into silver in the year 1477 don't feel the pain any longer, but that's only because they've been dead over 500 years.

http://goldinfo.net/silver600.html

Some people would look at that chart and see the wonder of modern mining equipment. Precious metal bugs tend to look at that chart and see something entirely different though. Some true believers hope that price will go back to 1477 levels. In fact, it was a true believer who once pointed me to that chart.

I did see one gold bull's take on it that I did sympathize with though. Gold will probably continue to do well until the equity markets finally find a bottom. He was pretty sure that bottom was still a ways off. That being said, it also seemed like someone wanting not just the low-lying fruit from the tree, but all that fruit right up there close to the top, the tree itself, AND all of it boxed up and shipped for free! His theory also seemed a bit too obvious, and we know what the market likes to do to obvious theories.

Almost every commodity is crashing except gold. That doesn't sit right with me. Oil, copper, platinum, etc. - all way down.

Add one more commodity to your list of safe stores of wealth crashing. Remember when precious metals and fine art were once sort of grouped together?

Art pays price of tough times
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25091471-661,00.html

"With the value of assets like shares, property and superannuation taking a battering, people are looking at their private possessions - paintings, vintage furniture, their late grandma's art deco jewellery - and thinking: how much could I get for this?"

That sure doesn't strike me as a hyperinflationary mindset.

At best, I view gold as insurance, not an investment.

Yeah, that's how I see it.

When I buy insurance, I hope it goes DOWN in value. For example, I buy fire protection for my home but I hope it is wasted money. I don't ever wish to see my home burn to the ground.

When I buy an investment, I hope it goes UP in value.

Here's one way to lose one's entire nest egg. Walk into an insurance office and ask what it would cost to insure against every possible bad outcome.

"Let's start with a very long list of rare illnesses and work our way up through a nearly infinite number of unexpected calamaties."

The insurance agent would sure love you though. You might even get a free lunch! His treat, lol.

Buy Annuity said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
toronto basement renovations said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.