Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hoarding Tendencies at Target?

Target 1Q profit drops, cites higher costs

The company said profit margins declined slightly from last year because sales grew faster in low-margin categories, which generally includes food and essentials like paper towels.

Why would paper towel sales be growing faster? Do people suddenly make more messes at home that need to be cleaned up? I find this very hard to believe.

Nah. I'm just joking. I've got a LOT of paper towels too. If people are going to hoard them, they'd be better off getting a Costco membership and buying in bulk though.

Once again, I do not think there will be a paper towel shortage. I just happen to think paper towels will outperform three month treasury bills as an investment. That's all.

Inflation expectations are contained my you know what.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For true hoarding, it might make sense to buy from wholesalers, instead of Target or Costco. Just have 'em back the semi up once or twice a year. When buying in bulk, why pay retail?

- jus me

Stagflationary Mark said...

jus me,

Costco's pretty cheap compared to Target (if Costco has the merchandise). If you can offer a link to someplace cheaper I'd be all ears though.

Costco
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco

The rising inflation of the 1970s aided the success of the Price Club concept.

Costco's sales numbers are doing very well these days as well. We're told it is a sign of strength in the economy but there's that 1970s word again. Go figure.

These goods are usually bulk-packaged and marketed primarily to large families and businesses.

And small-time hoarders. Perhaps it is best to not mention that. ;)