Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Savvy Chinese Find Market Top!

November 6, 2007
Savvy Chinese Know Exactly When Bubble Will Burst!
All in until the Olympics! Then take profits! It is a cunning plan!

Note November, 2007 on the following chart.

Shanghai Composite Index (1 Year Chart)

Here's another look.

Shanghai Composite Index (5 Year Chart)

I'm especially amused by the comment AllanF left for me on this post in January. This is very much a gallows humor kind of day it seems (as I stroll down memory lane).

Sh*t!!! It's still January. Oh man. What am I gonna do!?! Oh man! Oh man! Oh man!!! My wife's gonna kill me. I told her it was all cool, we'd beat the rush and be all out by Memorial Day. - AllanF

The "rush" clearly intensified.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTF....the Chinese can't decouple from this mess either. Looks like all the other markets (excluding the US) are accepting that deflation is on the way!!!

Stagflationary Mark said...

Anonymous,

Here's today's theory, for what it is worth.

The stock market apparently loves the thought that oil is down.

Oil is apparently down due to falling demand and a sinking economy.

Falling demand and a sinking economy reminds me a bit of the Great Depression and/or the very nasty recession of 1974.

The initial decline of the Great Depression was not where most people lost their fortunes. It was in attempting to bottom feed the nearly bottomless pit.

Just my two cents, adjusted for both deflation and inflation (since I am never 100% sure which we will see next, but feel I can safely bet on general demise... through falling real yields via TIPS).

I'm also firmly sticking to the theory that we have the deflationary credit bubble of the Great Depression AND the inflationary currency problems of the 1970s. I'm not at all convinced two wrongs will make a right. Oh yeah, and we have WAY too many restaurants for what's coming our way. That's part of my theory too.